Our environment forum supports cities in their efforts to bring about a better environment and work towards achieving sustainable development by sharing knowledge and expertise
For people living in cities, a good quality of life depends largely on the quality of the urban environment. Europe's cities are striving to provide citizens with clean air, safe water and a healthy habitat, including plenty of trees, parks and green spaces.
Cities also play an active role in helping to stabilise the global climate and adapt to the inevitable consequences of climate change.
1. EU policy
Working within our environment forum, our members are formulating practical and innovative ways to integrate environmental considerations into local decision making and urban planning processes.
Our environment forum also works with the EU institutions and national governments to ensure that European environmental legislation and programmes can be implemented successfully at local level, in order to both improve the urban environment and protect the global environment.
The forum targetes mainly EU institutions through position papers, statements and lobbying letters, as well as individual meetings, participation in events and more.
The main policy issues in which the EEF is involved are:
- EU air quality policy review
- EU Energy Union package (including e.g. Energy Performance of Buildings Directive, Energy Efficiency Directive, Heating and Cooling Strategy, waste-to-energy)
- EU waste policy review and circular economy package
- EU measures on environmental noise, including the REFIT of the Environmental Noise Directive
- Smart Cities (in cooperation with the EUROCITIES Knowledge Society Forum)
- Urban agenda: five of 12 topics are related to the environment
2. Membership and networking
With a view to increase geographical balance, the EEF will further intensify its efforts to involve Southern and Eastern European cities more. This will include efforts to increase synergies between EU-funded project work, the forum and its working groups.
We will continue to act in partnership with a range of stakeholders, such as public authorities, environmental agencies, NGOs and civil society, as well as private companies and academia.
3. Connecting with projects
The EEF is involved in various EUROCITIES project activities, such as the New Integrated Covenant of Mayors on Climate and Energy, GuiDanCe and the Green Digital Charter, CityKeys, EC-Link. The EUROCITIES projects team also monitors relevant EU funding calls and provides members with funding forecasts, funding briefs and opportunities to find project partners.
1.Sustainable, affordable energy
- Following up and lobbying relevant Energy Union policy initiatives and the National Emissions Ceilings (NEC) Directive.
- Exchanging good practices on local actions for energy that is sustainable (low greenhouse gas emissions, low or no air pollution, sustainable energy sources) and affordable energy (to mitigate energy poverty).
- Continue advocacy work on the circular economy package, published on 2 December 2015.
- Exchanging good practices on local circular economy actions, including waste management and improvements on products, such as reuse facilitation, repair cafés, etc.
3.Healthy, green city
- Exchanging good practices on green, nature-based urban solutions, such as for climate adaptation, biodiversity, health (quiet areas, sports, etc.).
- Exchanging good practices and influencing EU policy on health and environment, such as the REFIT of the Environmental Noise Directive.
Forum meetings 2016
October 2016: Ljubljana
March 2017: Antwerp
Aarhus Amsterdam Angers Loire Metropole Antwerp Athens Banja Luka Barcelona Belfast Belgrade Bergen Berlin Bialystok Bilbao Birmingham Bologna Bonn Bordeaux BrabantStad Braga Bratislava Bremen Brighton & Hove Bristol Brno Brussels Brussels Capital Region Budapest Burgas Bydgoszcz Cardiff Cesena Chemnitz Cologne Copenhagen Dortmund Dresden Dublin Dusseldorf Edinburgh Eindhoven Espoo Essen EUROCITIES Brussels Office Florence Frankfurt Gaziantep Geneva Genoa Ghent Gijon Glasgow Gothenburg Grand Nancy Grenoble Alpes Metropole Guimaraes Hamburg Helsinki Istanbul Izmir Karlsruhe Kharkiv Kiel Konya Kyiv Lausanne Leeds Leipzig Lisbon Liverpool Ljubljana London Lublin Luxembourg Lviv Lyon Madrid Malaga Malmo Manchester Mannheim Metropole Europeenne de Lille Mezitli Milan Munich Munster Murcia Nacka Nantes Netwerkstad Twente Newcastle-Gateshead Nice Cote d Azur Nicosia Nilufer Novi Sad Nuremberg Odessa Oslo Oulu Palermo Paris Pilsen Porto Prague Rennes Metropole Reykjavik Riga Rome Rotterdam Sarajevo Seville Sheffield Sofia St Etienne Stavanger Stockholm Strasbourg Stuttgart Sunderland Tallinn Tampere Tbilisi Terrassa Metropolitan Area The Hague Timisoara Tirana Toulouse Turin Turku Uppsala Utrecht Vantaa Varna Venice VEOLIA Environment Vienna Vilnius Warsaw Wroclaw Zagreb Zaragoza Zurich